The Story of a Fat Sorority Girl on her Keto Journey

Well I assume those of you that have stumbled upon my blog know who I am, but for those of you who may not know here is a quick screen shot of me:
  • I'm Alexis, I'm 22, and I'm from a very small town in South Western Ontario
  • I go to the University of Guelph and I'm double majoring in English and Philosophy
  • I like to classify myself as a fat sorority girl, we'll get more into this later
I started this blog shortly after I started my weight loss and lifestyle change journey as a way to hold myself accountable and push myself to continue on the hardest of days. My plan is to use this blog as a platform to talk about what it is I am doing, maybe some recipes that I really enjoyed and worked for me, and a place to vent my frustrations on the days that I just don't want to continue. Although my overall theme is my new journey through life, there will be times that I stray away and just want to talk about something new, I hope that you don't mind, and if you do, well the red X is in either your top right or left corner. 

Now that we've got a bit of an understanding of what this is all about, and a little bit of what I am all about, I want to dive into this category of the "fat sorority girl" that I have put myself into. Now, labels may not be everyones thing, and that's okay, but I have come to embrace this label and love it. There's no hiding it. At my current, and heaviest weight, of 300lbs, I'm obese. But I'm not too fond of this word "obese". Because of this, I have decided to adopt the word "fat". This may seem odd to many, but it is so much easier to live your life in some sort of a happy state when you embrace and accept what some people are saying about you anyways. By accepting myself as a fat person it makes it much harder for someone to offend or upset me when other people refer to myself, or other people, and sometimes even themselves as fat. Any of my fellow fat friends know, there is no worse feeling than when your perfectly healthy friends around you call themselves fat. So the best you can do is accept the label and be proud of who you are. As for the sorority girl part, you don't see many fat sorority girls, and since I am one it is a label I am choosing to wear loud and proud. 

Now, as much as I just preached to love yourself and your label, which I do, don't get me wrong, I made a promise to myself when I started gaining weight a long time ago that if I ever got to 300lbs I would make a change. I don't know why this number is a breaking point for me, maybe because I never thought I would ever get to this point, but now that I have, it's time for me to change my lifestyle. Not because I don't like who I am, but because I want to lead a healthier life. If I stay this size while eating healthy I could care less. The important thing about my decision is that I don't want to be at risk for a heart attack or liver failure or any of these crazy things because of my diet. So about 2 1/2 weeks ago I decided to count calories. Holy shit. What a mistake that was. I dropped about 3lbs in a week, which is fantastic. And I used my FitBit to keep me on track and predict when I would get to my "weight goal" but I was eating like a fucking rabbit. News flash, I'm a human, who enjoys much more than carrots and hummus, in fact I hate carrots. Something needed to change.

This is when I discovered the Keto diet. For those of you who are not quite sure what the Keto diet is, it is a low carb, high fat diet. Essentially, since your body is no longer taking in enough carbs for energy, it starts to burn fat for energy instead. What does this mean? I get to eat a whoooole lot of meat, which is a plus in my books. Now, for those of you who know me, you know that I LOVE carbs. This isn't even an understatement. So although this is going to be an uphill battle, I think it is a better suited option for me than many other diet plans out there.

I have been doing what is classified as "lazy Keto" for a week now. What this means is that I am just paying attention to my carb/sugar intake (less than 50g a day) and not paying attention to any of my other macros or calories and I'm down 10lbs. Yes, you read that right, 10 whole pounds. While the cravings are most definitely there and the Keto flu (I will talk more about this in future posts) definitely exists, it has been a pretty fantastic week.

I've been talking for much longer than I anticipated for my first post and I still have so much more to say. If you have any questions about Keto or what it is I'm attempting to do, here is an awesome resource to hopefully answer those questions: https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/

I sincerely hope you join me on my journey and are intrigued enough to continue reading. Until next time, xo

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Keto on a Student Budget

Hell Week